Saturday, September 24, 2011

DON'T EAT THAT!

I know that reading the label of everything that you place into your grocery cart sounds ridiculous, but if you knew what you were consuming unwillingly, you may think differently.






I read every label of every item that I buy at the grocery store.

  • If i look at the ingredients list and it's too long... I put it back.
  • If it contains several mumbo-jumbo long words that I do not know... I put it back.
  • Most importantly, if I see any food dyes, artificial flavors, artificial sweeteners, or the preservatives BHA, BHT, or TBHQ... I put it back. 

These few things make reading labels a little easier, because if I see any of these things I don't have to read any further. 


Don't Eat That
Some ingredients are not as easily identifiable. This is why I have the iPhone DON'T EAT THAT app. I thank my good neighbor and friend Christy, for introducing this app to me a couple years ago. This app has made shopping a little less hectic. The DON'T EAT THAT app has access to 1500+ food additives, ingredients and chemicals, including those that are carcinogenic, unhealthy for children, or are commonly known allergens. This information is simply stored onto your iPhone, so no Wi-Fi or 3G access is necessary. Just download, head to the grocery store, and shop. Use the app to search ingredients by different categories like: 'harmful to children', 'banned', 'carcinogens', 'genetically modified', 'allergies', and 'asthma'.


I admit, at first this seems like an overwhelming trip to the grocery store... It took me a few visits to get used to the process. Overtime you will learn what products 'work' for your family and which items are harmful. I do not this it always necessary to buy organic, as long as I am armed with the knowledge of the other ingredients that my family consumes. 


Our quality of life and quality of the food that we put into our bodies is too important to me to ignore.

No comments:

Post a Comment