Wednesday, January 31, 2018

You Only Live Once




(Ross says I look like a hip-hop chipmunk.)

This past weekend marked 2 years since my breast cancer diagnosis...

and 1 year since my last blog post. 2016 was a year of treatments... surgery, chemotherapy, tamoxifen. 2017 was a year full of recovery, thoughtfully rebuilding my body, mind, and soul. Now 2018, I’m finally feeling like myself. This year I plan to focus on myself and personal goals. Family, friends, art, projects, and possibly a novel. 


Tamoxifen 

So far, so good. I had a difficult time through the past summer with hot flashes. Knowing that alcohol triggered them, I cut it out completely. BAH! It sucked, but a lot less than hot flashes. Then in late July/early August we were in Italy. It was incredibly hot, and all I wanted was a cold shandy, so I did. I rationalized that the heat was so intense, I wouldn't know if I was having a hot flash or not -- it was that hot! Thankfully I was right, and was able to enjoy a delicious and refreshing Peroni Lemon Chill.


You Only Live Once 

Although I understand the concept, I don't believe this statement. I think that I have had several lives - childhood, young adult life, life before kids, life with kids, DC life... life before breast cancer, and after. Living like I want to make something out of my time here on Earth, now that's special, and it may take me a few tries, a few different lives.


Anyone can change their life at any moment... Isn't that amazing. We have the option to be the person we want to be. I understand there are obstacles from time to time, but if I surround myself with people who lift me up, I know I can do anything. The joy of supporting others also lifts me up. Friendship should be easy, otherwise I think it's something else.



No comments:

Post a Comment