Tuesday, March 22, 2016

My Breast Cancer Update: Second Cycle + Logo Design



Yesterday morning I woke up to more little hairs from my head left on my pillow.
"Hair today. Gone tomorrow." Did I call it, or what?

Memaw knitting, of course!
Second Cycle Infusion went well. I was lucky enough to be there as a physical therapist was making her rounds, so I received a nice neck and shoulder massage for about 30 minutes. That was a treat. Memaw was with me, keeping me company, and hubby was in an out with work errands and made a lunch run. Otherwise, I just sat in my comfy chair for hours... reading, checking emails, Facebook, and yes, taking selfies.

I received the normal infusion of the steroid, and my home dose was dropped down to just one pill the morning after. I have been awake since 2:30am, so I went ahead and took the pill at 6:30am. Hopefully it will run through my system quickly, and I'll manage any nausea with Zofran along the way. I pulled myself together and got outside in this beautiful weather for a walk, and stopped in to see friends and their newborn. So... so far, so good. Just a bit tired, but can't rest.

With hat?
Without hat?
Today I ordered a good set of hair clippers via Amazon. They will be here Thursday, and this buzz cut of mine will get serious! A friend and work colleague who also battled breast cancer told me that she never lost her eyelashes, eyebrows, or leg hair (that part is unfair). And one of my besties said that her eyelashes and eyebrows were the last to go. Needless to say, everyone reacts differently. I went ahead and purchased real hair eyebrows, stencils, makeup and more. I also treated myself to several scarves and hats, as well as being gifted a beautiful designer scarf from dear friends. I figured I'm saving money not going to the hair salon or getting mani/pedis, right? I already have the oversized sunglasses, so I'll be set for my Vogue cover shoot circa 1976.

As I was lying awake in bed early this morning, I was thinking about the logo that I've been using for these updates. I originally designed it several years ago for a client's meeting publication. I repurposed it for this blog because it perfectly shows how this breast cancer and chemo process feels to me. It's kinda three parts. The first part being before diagnosis. The second part, where I am now, the unravelling and being taken apart in surgery and recovery, then chemo treatments. The third part is being put back together better and stronger. One thing that this process has taught me is that I really didn't know anything about breast cancer and chemo before going through it myself. When family, friends, and neighbors had battled any cancer in the past, I really did not know how to help, what to do or say. I'm still figuring it out, but I know for sure that I will be a better caregiver, family member, and friend because of this.

As and end note. I would like to send lots of love and positive energy to the people in Brussels. You are in my thoughts.






3 comments:

  1. Love you Cuz!! Your strength is amazing! Positive energy, lots of love, prayers and loving hugs to you!! Love your selfies!! You're so CUTE!!! Lol, sorry bout the exclamation point overload... I'll tone it down. ��
    Love always,
    Michelle & Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie, Thank you for sharing! You look so cute! I hope you continue to feel strong and loved. I wish I knew what more to say and how to take care of you better...I think we all wish that we knew the perfect thing to say. I love you! Val

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO nice to see your smiling face on Tuesday! I hope the last couple of days have been easy on you! Continued prayers & love your way!!! xxxooo

    ReplyDelete